Thursday, 28 February 2013

The fastest pizza ever!

We know very well that beside the original base for a pizza other easier ways can be used to gain us time and have this luscious food ready in no time! But I never thought we could have a pizza using a simple batter mixture as a base! When I first saw the recipe a couple of years ago it really intrigued me to try it out. Then, I was a bit hesitant to be honest because I was not sure how it would turn out and a bit worried because I had seen comments complaining about the strong smell of the egg... Well, I don't know about other people, but the times I have done the pizza in this way I didn't have any problems with it! I find it a clever idea and a great help for those who feel a bit intimidated by homemade pastry making. The topping is only an indication of course, you can choose the ingredients you like most and add on top of the pizza
 



Recipe of Argyro Barbarigou,
a prominent Head Cook
Check out her site Argiro for more delicious recipes

Ingredients (for 8 portions)

For the base:
200gr. of Greek strained yoghurt
4 tbsp of olive oil
1 egg
1 tea-cup of self-raising flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of dried oregano (optional -my addition)
1 tbsp of all-purpose flour

For the topping:
1 tea-cup of leftover cooked chicken or meat
1 tea-cup of tomato sauce (homemade or store bought)
1/2 tea-cup of Greek Graviera cheese, grated (or Greek Kasseri cheese)
1/2 tea-cup of mild or medium Cheddar, grated
1 tea-cup of Greek Anthotyro or Manouri cheese, cut in small cubes (or fresh mozzarella)
1 tea-cup of fresh button mushrooms, cut in thin slices
pepper

Method:
Preheat the oven to 230°C.

Put all the ingredients for the base in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer for 3 minutes until you have a homogeneous batter.

Brush with some oil and dust with the 1 tbsp of flour a pizza tin of 30cm diameter.

Empty the batter into the tin, put on the bottom shelf of the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until it forms a nice crust and get lightly golden.

Take out of the oven (keep the oven switched on) and spread the sauce with a spoon leaving a bit of empty space around the edges. Arrange the cheeses on top of the sauce and then cover with the chicken and the mushrooms. Season on top with some pepper.

Put back in the oven and bake (again at the bottom shelf and the same temperature) for about 12-15 minutes until the cheeses are melted and the base is nicely coloured.

No comments:

Post a Comment