Recipe of Kostas Tsigas,
from "Cook Book" magazine of "ETHNOS" newspaper
from "Cook Book" magazine of "ETHNOS" newspaper
Ingredients (for 4 people):
1Kg of lamb liver, cleaned off the membrane and cut in 3cm thick slices
1 large potato, peeled and cut in medium strips
100gr. Cretan "apaki" smoked pork (or smoked bacon or pancetta), cut in small strips
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of butter (preferably of sheep milk)
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1 tbsp of white dry wine
1 tsp of plain vinegar
½ tsp of sugar
½ a bunch of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
salt
pepper
flour for frying
light olive oil for frying
Method:
Cut the potato as you do for fries and put in a bowl full of water. Season the liver slices well with salt and pepper.
Get the potatoes out of the water, dry very well and fry them in medium heat in a deep frying pan with the 2 tbsp of olive oil, turning them around so to get evenly fried. When they get lightly coloured add the garlic in the pan and season with salt and pepper. Add the butter and continue frying for about 5 minutes and then transfer the potatoes on a plate.
In the same pan add the apaki and sauté for a couple of minutes stirring with a wooden spoon. Transfer the apaki on the plate with the fries.
Clean the pan with some kitchen paper and add some olive oil. Pass the liver slices through the flour and shake off the excess flour. Put in the pan and fry for about 2 minutes on each side.
Pour over with the lemon juice, the vinegar and the wine, sprinkle with the sugar and stir. Leave the liver to simmer for a couple of minutes and take off the heat.
Serve immediately along with the fried potatoes and the apaki, pour over with the sauce from the pan and sprinkle with the parsley.
Note:
The liver goes very well with the onion, so if you like the idea add 1 small finely chopped onion in the pan the moment you add the garlic and follow the recipe in the same way



Don't like liver, but your picture makes me think twice about trying it. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteJacquline (www.seeminglygreek.com)
Hi Jacquline:-) The only liver I like is the beef one because I find the lamb and the pork quite strong in taste and smell. So, you could try the recipe with beef liver if you want and see how it goes. Thank you for passing by and leaving a comment and I hope I'll see you again:-) I know your site because when you became a member of my blog not long ago I visited you as well (in the meantime though your picture as a follower was taken off). I remember you because I was so pleased that a foreigner did trully try to get to know the Greeks and their cuisine and being happy about it!:-) Keep the good job and have a nice evening:-)
ReplyDelete