Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Greek meatballs in rich tomato sauce served with pasta

In the list with our favourite foods, regardless the season or the temperatures, pasta dishes have an honourable place and more or less this goes for the majority of the Greeks. As for the keftedes (meatballs) what can I say? Again, one of the most popular foods around Greece! So versatile since you can find them in so many different shapes, ways of cooking and flavours. I know what some of you might think.... that this is an immitation of the famous (and delicious) italian "meatballs with spaghetti"... and if I was not Greek I would agree with you. But, because I'm Greek and I know, I'm telling you that cooking the meatballs in the way I present you today is a recipe that exists in the Greek cuisine looooong before any Italian or other European famous dishes appeared on our tables becoming a fashion. Fried or baked meatballs left from the day before most often found themselves the next day smothered by a rich tomato sauce in a pot... I remember my mother doing it since I was a kid (and that means over 40 years ago) and I remember her saying that her mother used to do it before her... and I'm sure most mothers and grandmothers were doing the same especially in old days when there was no way any leftovers to be wasted. Enjoy!:-)


Ingredients (for 4 people):
500gr. pasta of your choice
Greek Kefalotyri cheese, grated (or other hard/salty cheese of your choice)

For the meatballs:
250gr. of ground beef
200gr. of ground pork
1 egg
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of fresh spearmint, finely chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
2 tbsp of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp of dried oregano
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, grated
2 slices of stale bread, no crust (well soaked and well drained)
1 tbsp of plain vinegar
salt
pepper
vegetable oil for frying

For the tomato sauce:
1 large onion, grated
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
200gr.  tinned tomatoes concassé
2 tbsp of tomato paste
50ml white dry wine
1 tsp of sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
1 small dry chilli pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1 bay leaf
salt
pepper

Method:
For the meatballs, put all the ingredients in a large bowl and knead well until you have a soft mixture that doesn't stick to your hands. Put in the fridge for half an hour and then getting pieces of the mixture,shape into meatballs of a small size walnut.

Warm the oil in a spacious non-stick frying pan in medium heat and fry the meatballs (in batches) only for 3 minutes, turning them around so to fry on all sides. Transfer with a slotted spatula on kitchen paper to drain the excess oil and leave on the side.

For the tomato sauce, using the same frying pan and the oil that is left in it, add the garlic and the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes until they get soft but not browned. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, season with salt and pepper, stir and cook in medium heat for 10 minutes.

Add ½ a glass of warm water and when the ingredients come to the boil add the meatballs and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes until they are fully cooked and the sauce quite thick with most of the liquids evaporated.

Boil the pasta according to your preference and serve immediately pouring with the tomato sauce on top and a few meatballs and sprinkle with plenty of grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment