Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Fried eggs with tomatoes in the skillet with chicken livers

A delicious "saganaki" dish to enjoy any day of the week when you want something fast but filling and rich in taste. Great, though, too for a lazy Sunday brunch




Adapted from a recipe of Kostas Tsigas,
from "Cook Book" magazine of "ETHNOS" newspaper

Ingredients (for 4 people):
4 eggs
4 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
1 yellow onion, grated (I used Spring onions)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ tsp of ground coriander
1½ tsp of fresh coriander, finely chopped
½ green bell pepper, cut in rings
½ red bell pepper, cut in rings (my addition)
250gr. chicken livers, cleaned and well rinsed
120gr. Greek Graviera cheese, grated (or mild Cheddar)
½ tsp of tahini paste
3 tbsp olive oil
1 glass of dry white wine
2 tbsp of cognac
1 pinch of sugar (my addition)
salt
pepper

Method:
Preheat the oven to 220°C.

Warm the oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat and when it is ready add the chicken livers. Sauté for about 8 minutes stirring gently with a wooden spatula until they start getting coloured.

Add the onion and sauté for 2 more minutes. Then add the garlic, the ground coriander, the peppers, the tahini and season well with salt and pepper.

Sauté the ingredients for 2 more minutes and then pour over with the wine. When the alcohol is evaporated, add the cognac, the tomato and the sugar and continue cooking until most of the tomato liquid is gone.

Empty the ingredients in a ovenproof dish (or 4 individual ones) and sprinkle on top with the cheese. Make four small wells among the mixture and break an egg in each one.

Sprinkle on top with the fresh coriander and bake for about 10 minutes.

Serve immediately along with plenty of crusty fresh bread.

4 comments:

  1. What a brunch. Perfect taste and a caloric bomb in one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Yes, I know what you mean... but lets consider it a special brunch for special occasions that don't happen every day... so we can feel less guilty...lol
      Thanks for the visit and the pleasant comment:-) Have a nice week

      Delete
  2. I like how there is chicken liver in this recipe. I don't know many people who like organ meat, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I know what you mean, it is not everybody's "cup of tea" this type of recipes. In Greece is very common to use animal's organs in cooking. If you visit again take a look at the Easter-time recipes and you'll see what I mean. I hope you'll enjoy this recipe if you ever try it. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment:-)

      Delete