Sunday, 20 April 2014

Springtime terrine with strawberries and sweet wine scented ladyfinger biscuits



HRISTOS ANESTH!!
----
HE HAS RISEN!!


I hope all the Greeks around the world had a great night yesterday and I wish to all of you a great Easter Sunday! Hopefully the weather elsewhere is sunnier and milder than it is where we are, definitely not the right one for outdoors roasting the lamb on the spit!:-)) But, that's why the ovens and the pots are around, to save the day! And while our meat is cooking away and most preparations are done, I have the chance to give you today's dessert recipe which I prepared late last night so not to have to do too many things today. Okay, this year we didn't go with anything traditionally Greek... No Galaktoboureko, or Amygdalopita or Galatopita which are some of those desserts people like to have on Easter Sunday. We all love strawberries and it was my husband's request from days ago to repeat a dessert I had done before and we really enjoyed it. A simple and easy but delicious terrine. A really refreshing dessert which I think is ideal after last night's meal and especially after today's big feast that will take place later on... I believe a lighter dessert like this one is ideal for such occasions and what is better than some strawberries! I have done this recipe before and once I replaced the mascarpone with Anthotyro cheese but this time I didn't have any so I followed the original recipe


Cooked by Elias Demirtzoglou,
"Cook Book" magazine of "ETHNOS" newspaper

Ingredients (for 8 people):
380 gr. of mascarpone cheese
170 gr. of crème fraîche
2-3 tbsp of icing sugar (depending on how sweet the berries are)
18 ladyfinger biscuits
1 tea-cup of white sweet wine
400 gr. of strawberries, finely chopped
150 gr. of raspberry or blackberry jam
250 gr. of crème fraîche, beaten to a whipped cream consistency
blanched and roasted almonds cut in slivers to decorate (optional)

Method:
Put in a large bowl the mascarpone, the crème fraîche and the sugar and mix with a whisk until they become a homogeneous mixture.

Lay the sides and the bottom of a 30-32 X 7 cm cake tin with cling film, leaving the edges hanging over the rim.

Briefly dip the first 6 biscuits into the wine and lay them at the bottom of the tin. Cover with half of the strawberries and half of the jam and then spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top.

Continue with the next 6 biscuits, the strawberries, the jam and the rest of the mascarpone mixture.

Finish laying on the top the remaining 6 biscuits. loosely cover with the edges of the cling film and leave the dessert in the fridge to chill for 8 hours.

Take the tin out of the fridge and carefully turn the terrine on a serving platter, peeling the cling film off.

Cover the dessert with the whipped cream and scatter on top with the almonds (if used).

No comments:

Post a Comment