Thursday, 17 October 2013

DESSERT WEEK 1: 3-ingredient light chocolate mousse

Mousse in general, as we all know, is a dessert which can be served any time of the year and that makes it very popular. Especially the chocolate mousse I think it is probably the most popular and although more or less the ingredients and the method don't change from recipe to recipe still nobody gets bored of it. This version we have here is so simple but also slightly different than the classic recipe since olive oil is used. More and more often we see desserts like cakes or ice cream using olive oil and from my experience (because I was a bit hesitant in the beginning) the oil doesn't spoil the final taste. If you have not tried out a mousse in this way this is a good chance and I hope you'll enjoy it


Prepared by Angelos Rentoulas
from the Greek magazine "GK"

Ingredients (for 6-8 people):
200 ml of extra virgin olive oil
300 gr. of dark chocolate, cut in small pieces
500 gr. of crème fraîche
icing sugar or cocoa powder to dust
fresh spearmint leaves or chopped nuts to garnish

Method:
In the bowl of a standing mixer beat the cream until it is thickened, getting the density of thin yoghurt. *** It should not be as firm as the whipped cream is.

Put the chocolate in a glass bowl and melt it following the "Bain-marie" method or for a few seconds in the microwave.

Using a rubber spatula stir the melted chocolate with the olive oil very thoroughly to blend. While the chocolate mixture is still warm, fold in the beaten cream to incorporate, stirring very gently with the spatula.

Divide the mixture in 6-8 bowls (or glasses). Leave in the fridge and allow to chill and set properly for a few hours but not for too long because it will become too firm.

When it comes to serving, take the mousse out of the fridge 10 minutes in advance. Decorate with the ingredients of your choice and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen chocolate mousse like this before, very unique! I always make it with eggs, chocolate and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed different but, as I said, the oil doesn't dominate the taste of it
      I'd love to hear your impression if you ever decide to try it out
      Thanks for stopping by to comment:-)

      Delete