Adapted from a recipe of Evi Voutsina,
in "Gastronomos" magazine of "KATHIMERINI" newspaper
Ingredients (for 4 people):
8 large artichokes
6 small shallots, finely chopped (I used spring onions)
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced (fresh when in season) - (I used 1 large clove)
1 small Romaine lettuce, half of it finely chopped and the rest roughly chopped
100gr. of white rice (I used long grain)
1 bunch of wild fennel fronds, finely snipped (I used dill)
1 large potato, cut lengthwise in quarters (or a few baby potatoes)
1/2 cup of olive oil
salt
pepper
1 lemon, cut in half
1 tsp of flour
1 large lemon, the juice
Method:
Prepare the artichokes discarding the stems, removing all the outer leaves and scraping the fibres out with a spoon. Rub each one with half a lemon and place in a bowl full of water. Add the lemon juice and leave aside. This helps to prevent the artichokes going black.
In a large bowl put the rice and combine with the onions, the garlic, half the fennel and the finely chopped lettuce. Season with salt and pepper, stir with a spoon and stuff the artichokes with the mixture.
Carefully place the artichokes in a shallow pot. Arrange the potatoes among them, add the rest of the lettuce and sprinkle with the rest of the fennel. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with half the oil and add 1/2 a cup of hot water.
Cover with the lid and simmer the food in medium-low heat until the artichokes are tender and a nice sauce is formed. In a small bowl beat the rest of the oil with the lemon juice and the flour and pour over the artichokes.
Give the pot a quick shake in a circular mode so the artichokes are coated by the sauce and simmer for a couple of minutes.
Take off the heat and leave the food to stand for 15 minutes before serving.



These are beautiful and sound nice - especially considering that I don't even really like artichokes.
ReplyDeleteI was trying to find your email but couldn't, is it possible to email you sometime?
Thanks, Jacquline (www.seeminglygreek.com)
Artichokes are not one of our favourite vegetables so I don't cook them frequently. We do enjoy them though when cooked every now and then. Thanks for visiting the blog again:-)
ReplyDeleteYou can e-mail me at theamateurcook@gmail.com