Saturday, 31 March 2012

Fast and easy yoghurt cheesebread with herbs

I like the recipes that include yoghurt, I suppose because I do like yoghurt anyway..:-) But, I do believe, that in many cases the addition of yoghurt gives to various dishes a special touch. A very refreshing flavour but, at the same time, fluffiness and moisture which in many recipes this is essential. Feel free to play with the herbs and/or the spices used in this cheesebread according to your personal preference. Don't follow the recipe strictly regarding the cheeses, choose those you like better or your fridge has the day you decide to bake the bread. You can also add finely chopped olives but in that case just be careful what type of cheese you will use, not to be too salty. Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped bell peppers or cured meats can be added as well for a richer flavour. It's up to you but even if you follow the simple version of the recipe it will not disappoint you at all



Adapted from a recipe of Eleni Psichouli,
in "BHMAgourmet" magazine of "TO BHMA" newspaper (2010)

Ingredients (for 4-5 people):
4 eggs
500gr. feta cheese, crumbled
200gr. Greek Kefalograviera cheese, grated (or other similar semi-salted/semi-hard cheese)
100gr. Greek Kefalotyri cheese, grated (or parmesan or pecorino)
200gr. Greek yoghurt
1 cup of all-purpose flour
black pepper
1 tbsp of olive oil for brushing
1 heaped tsp of fresh rosemary, finely chopped (I used 1 tsp of anise seeds, toasted and another time sweet paprika)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Lightly brush the bottom and the sides of a medium size pyrex dish (round or square). The dish should not be too small because the bread should be rather thin.

In a large bowl beat the eggs well with a whisk and then add the cheeses, half the amount of the rosemary (or anise seeds or paprika) and the yoghurt.

Stir the mixture well with a wooden spoon and then add the flour. Stir well until the flour is blended with the rest of the ingredients, season with the pepper and stir again.

Evenly empty the mixture into the dish in a thin layer. Sprinkle with the rest of the rosemary (or one of the other ingredients) and drizzle on top with a bit of water.

Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the bread is nicely coloured. *** Pay attention not to overbake the bread because it will become hard.

Take out of the oven and leave to settle for a few minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. this looks delicious and i love the sound of it...but does it really have 800 grams of total cheese?...that;s almost 2 pounds of cheese would this go in a 9 x 13 pyrex? i love your recipes. i wish i had access to more of your ingredients. keep posting these delicious goodies. i will find a way to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, nice to see you again:-)

      The quantity of the cheese is right. I know it sounds a lot but the Kefalograviera cheese melts.

      About your dish, assuming you mean inches, I think it sounds spacious enough for this recipe(23X33cm). The bread needs to be rather thin.

      I understand the difficulty regarding the ingredients, that's why I'm trying to give people alternative ways when possible. It is not easy for me either over here. When it is possible I bring some stuff over from Greece...

      Have a nice week and thanks for the visit:-)

      Delete