Friday, 2 May 2014

Spicy bulgur "pilaf" with aubergines as an alternative to a classic dish with rice

Bulgur (which is nothing more than broken wheat) was always a big part of the Greek cuisine especially when ingredients like rice were not easy to be found. To be honest I was never a fan of bulgur (or couscous for that matter or other similar ingredients). I have tasted it but I didn't like it and I was avoiding to cook it at home, simple as that! On the other hand, I do love rice a lot and often, when bulgur was included in a recipe, I was using rice instead when possible:-)) But I decided that it was time to try it out and this chance appeared when I first discovered this recipe last year. I was curious to see how a Greek popular recipe with rice (rice pilaf with aubergines) would taste with bulgur. I can't say that I loved the dish but I didn't hate it either and actually I have cooked the recipe 2-3 times since then but still I'm not convinced that bulgur and I would meet again soon! There is nothing wrong with the recipe, on the contrary! It's only the fact that some things in life are not for everybody... But for those who love such ingredients this is a great dish to try out!



Cooked by Simone Kafiry,
from the Greek version of "Olive" magazine of "Proto Thema" newspaper
Ingredients (for 4-6 people):
1 ½ tea-cup of bulgur
2 tea-cups of hot water
2 large aubergines, cut in medium cubes
1 large yellow onion, roughly grated
2 cloves of garlic, mashed (in a mortar bowl with some salt added)
½ tsp of ground cumin seeds
½ tsp of ground coriander seeds
1 ½ tea-cup of tomato purée (passata)
¾ tea-cup of olive oil
salt
pepper
½ tea-cup of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Method:
Place the aubergine cubes in a large bowl filled with salted water for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper, just before you are ready to cook them.

Put the hot water in a bowl, add the bulgur and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Transfer into a colander to dry.

Put half of the olive oil in a shallow pot and warm in medium heat. Add the onion and the garlic and sauté until soft, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the cumin, the coriander, the bulgur and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the ingredients for another 2 minutes and then add the tomato along with ½ cup of water. Simmer the food for 5 minutes.

Take the pot off the heat, cover with a clean kitchen towel and then place the lid of the pot on top. Leave for 10-15 minutes allowing the bulgur to fluff up and become tender.

In the meantime, warm the rest of the oil in a spacious frying pan and sauté the aubergines in medium heat until the oil is absorbed. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook the aubergines until they are tender and nicely coloured.

Take the aubergines off the heat and add into the bulgur. Gently toss the ingredients with two forks and transfer the food on a serving platter. Scatter on top with the parsley.

The food tastes better lukewarm and you can serve along with a seasonal green salad and Feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment