Thursday, 6 January 2011

Leek and potato fried croquettes

A delicious meze which can be served along with other similar dishes to enjoy your ouzo or wine. Tzatziki and crusty bread next to them is a must!




Recipe of Argyro Barbarigou,
a prominent Head Cook
Check out her site for more delicious recipes

 Ingredients (for 4 people):
3 tbsp of olive oil
6 large leeks
3 large potatoes, boiled with their skin
3 eggs
2 tbsp of self raising flour
2 tbsp of fresh dill, finely chopped
2 tbsp of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
salt
pepper
plain flour for coating
olive oil for frying

Method:
Clean the leeks and keep the white and some of the green part. Cut in thin slices and transfer to a spacious frying pan with some water- enough just to cover the leeks. Let them simmer until the water is absorbed and the leeks get soft. When the water is gone add the olive oil and sauté for 2-3 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon. Take off the heat and leave aside to cool down.

While they potatoes are still warm, peel them and mash them with a fork in a large bowl. Add the the leeks, the eggs, the flour, the dill, the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Stir well with a spoon to blend the ingredients and put the mixture in the fridge for half an hour.

Using a small quantity of the mixture shape it into croquettes or balls and pass them lightly through the flour.

Warm enough olive oil in a spacious frying pan in medium heat and fry the croquettes for 2 minutes on each side until they are nicely coloured. Transfer them with a slotted spatula on kitchen paper to drain and serve while they are still hot.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I want to make this recipe gluten-free. What can I use instead of flour? Can I use dried potato flakes, or cornmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have not tried the recipe in this way because we don't follow gluten-free recipes so I'm quite careful of what to say to you... But... asking around I've been told that you could (probably) use potato starch, cornstarch, arrowroot and tapioca starch (without being sure what the final taste of the croquettes will be...) I hope that will help you. What we need is something to bring together the ingredients so to prevent croquettes from falling apart while frying

    ReplyDelete